Graduate Education building (from left), Peabody Hall, Epley Center for Health Professions, and Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Building
Creating Assignments with Academic Integrity in Mind, Mandel Samuels

When I began to teach online, one of my concerns was the opportunity for students to cheat on the assignments.  After thinking about the situation, students’ opportunity to cheat in online classes was not any different from face-to-face classes.  Once the students leave the classroom, there is nothing preventing them from getting together to share information.

While there is no method that is 100% effective in preventing cheating in face-to-face or online classes, here are a few things I have implemented in my online classes to decrease the opportunities for cheating.

One is I created my assignments and tests at level 3 and above based on Bloom’s Taxonomy.

I require the students to complete their assignments and tests at level 3 and above based on Bloom’s Taxonomy.  My expectations are clearly stated, and the students are held accountable.  When I hold them accountable, the quality of their second submission is of higher quality than the first submission.

Additionally, I ask the students to use their personal experiences, knowledge, and to use their critical thinking skills when applying, evaluating, and synthesizing the information.

On the majority of my assignments, I also ask the students to include citations and references from the textbook and additional sources to support their position.

I hope this tidbit of information is useful as we all move forward in what may become our new normal.

How To

We Want to Hear from You

What teaching tips have you picked up working remotely? Please let us know so we can learn from you and share the work you are doing.  Would you like to be part of a conversation about how to create assignments with academic integrity in mind? Let us know by contacting John Pijanowski and we will be in touch to schedule a small group consultation via zoom where we can share ideas, work through technical questions, and learn from each other.