Graduate Education building (from left), Peabody Hall, Epley Center for Health Professions, and Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Building
Using Anchor and Cue Prompter, Derrick Mears

Like everyone when I first began to teach online, I mostly tried to mimic what I would do in the face to face classroom in a digital format. I discovered very quickly that this was not always effective and sometimes didn’t produce the outcome I desired.

It was about this time that I watched a TED talk by Richard Culatta, the current chief executive officer of the International Society for Technology in Education. A quote from his presentation resonated in my head and began to make me think about how I could use technology to “reimagining learning” versus simply “digitize learning”. In other words, how can I “use technology to do entirely new things that simply were entirely not possible before”?

This led me to look at how I could have students present the information to demonstrate their learning in a different way than in paper format. One of the platforms that helped me make this transition was a podcast creator called Anchor in combination with another platform called Cue Prompter. This allowed me to have students present their learning or “papers” via podcasts having them then submit reference lists or links to resources.

How To

Using Anchor and Cue Prompter

Resources

We Want to Hear from You

What teaching tips have you picked up working remotely? Please let us know so we can learn from you and share the work you are doing.  Would you like to be part of a conversation about how to re-imagine your remote assignments? Let us know by contacting John Pijanowski and we will be in touch to schedule a small group consultation via zoom where we can share ideas, work through technical questions, and learn from each other.