Graduate Education building (from left), Peabody Hall, Epley Center for Health Professions, and Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Building
Encouraging student participation with virtual breakout groups, John Pijanowski

One of the most frustrating experiences I had early on in my online teaching was how often students would turn off their cameras and disappear from the class discussion. With only a handful of cameras able to be on the main screen at any given time — or the video boxes so small they might as well have been off — it was easy for students to tune out. Eventually I often found myself lecturing to a blank screen.

To address this I would start each class with students moving to breakout groups of no more than 4 and I floated in and out of each group. My goal was to establish the tone that they would be talking and have their cameras on. I would do this roughly 4 times per class. To create time for this I would make videos of as much of my direct instruction as I could for them watch before class. Again, I did this to set the culture that synchronous class time was for social learning and direct instruction happened outside of class.

How To

We Want to Hear from You

What teaching tips have you picked up working remotely? Please let us know so we can learn from you and share the work you are doing. 

Would you like to be part of a conversation about how to encourage student participation and/or manage virtual breakout rooms? Let us know by contacting John Pijanowski and we will be in touch to schedule a small group consultation via zoom where we can share ideas, work through technical questions, and learn from each other.